1. In a pot, heat the oil and atsuete until the oil starts to sizzle gently. Turn the heat off and let the seeds soak for 2 minutes. Strain and discard the seeds.
2. Marinate chicken in reserved pineapple syrup for at least 30 minutes. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat atsuete oil then fry garlic. Set aside the fried garlic.
3. Fry chicken until golden brown in the same atsuete oil. Set aside.
4. In the same pan, sauté onion then add back the chicken. Stir in the vinegar and simmer until almost dry.
5. Add the marinade. Bring to a boil then simmer until chicken is tender. Add the DEL MONTE Pineapple Chunks and half of the fried garlic. Mix well. Top with remaining fried garlic and green onions. Serve.
Season your meat/chicken or fish with salt and pepper only right before frying or grilling to keep it moist. Salt draws out the moisture as it sits on your meat. So there's a tendency for dry meat if you add it too early.
This pinoy dish is high in protein which is important for growth, development and repair of the body tissues. It is also a source of niacin that promotes normal digestion and healthy skin.